Friday, January 15, 2010

Filling in time

Still now news on a place to live yet. I've got a heap of applications in on little flats, and the guy from the shared house is going to get back to me on the weekend hopefully, so today I'm pretty much just hanging around.

I'm again using the free wifi at that nameless, soulless, multi-national fast food restaurant - the net is free and the air conditioning is cold! I kinda feel like I should be doing something, but I've applied for all the places I want to live, I guess it's now just a matter of waiting for my phone to ring.

I'm really shocked at the property market up here. I guess I was expecting it to be more like Broken Hill, which has some nice old houses and nice civic buildings and that sort of thing. Mount Isa doesn't. Some of the places I've inspected have been pretty rough. The ones I've applied for are pretty basic, but liveable. And it's pretty expensive for what you get, too. Quite an eye opener!

I met the rest of the newsroom last night for drinks at a local pub, except for one person who has gone on leave. They all seem very nice, and it's quite a young newsroom, everyone is in their twenties. I guess that makes it seem a bit less daunting.

I went for a drive around town yesterday afternoon and went as far as I could go one the public road to the mine. This photo is taken about five minutes drive from the CBD. The sunset photo I posted the other day shows one side of the mines, the side that is visible from town, and this one shows the mines from the other side.


There's also this massive pit that I drove past as well, I guess it's an abandoned open cut pit. It is huge, and from this photo you can't really see the bottom. The fence kinda gets in the way, but you get the idea.




No comments: