Sunday, February 7, 2010

Open mic night

Last night was pretty fun. Mount Isa has a pretty big kiwi community, and they have annual celebrations for Waitangi Day. It involves a big rugby match between a New Zealand side against the rest of the world. They do the haka too, which is always interesting. It was a really nice atmosphere, and I scored a good seat in the press box (a bench on the side of the field) to have a few tinnies of XXXX. They also did a hungi, which was pretty awesome.

After that I went to this open mic night that happens every second Saturday at an old footy club. It's a really nice atmosphere, and there's a big variety of acts. One of my friends that I've made up here convinced me to play, and so I got up and played three originals. The pissed guys in the corner seemed to appreciate it.

So that was pretty fun. I will try to practise a bit more next time and get a few more songs up to scratch. But it's was good to have something to work towards and encourage me to pick up my guitar.

No comments: