Sunday, July 18, 2010

Boulia camel races

Oh yeh! Camel races! The Boulia came races were on the weekend, and I covered it for the Star.

The highlight was getting to ride in a race! Oh yeh! It was a 400 metre local race, and I was on a fine beast called Kick Along Tom.

This is us walking up to the gate. I don't know why the silks were pink with sequins. I swear I didn't pick it.
Kick Along Tom came out of the gate a little bit slowly, at a trot in fact. But I was confident we could claw the distance back... until he went down to a walk. I don't think he quite got the urgency of it. But on the upside I did get the chance to have a chat to the people sitting leaning on the rail. Luckily the ambulance and bus were there to heard Kick Along Tom on a bit...
Yes, I think the judges had to call for the photo finish.
Tom and I eventually had to part ways, of course.
I came in for a sportsman's fifth, in a six camel race, where one broke to early and was disqualified. But I think it was a moral victory.
So yes, it was a great weekend. A bunch of footy blokes were there and it was a pretty big weekend. I think the lack of sleep may catch up with me, but hey, I can't complain!

No comments: