Monday, August 1, 2011

Assorted waterholes

Okay, I'm a bad blogger. It's been a long, long time since I've posted anything.

But a lot has been going on in that time. I'm trying to make the most of the dry season both for work and play. The wet officially begins in November, but could be earlier, and once that happens I won't be able to get to a lot of places. So I'm trying to do a lot of trips for work and a bit of hiking and camping. More on that in later posts... and there will be later posts!

For now, here are a few photos I took way back at Easter. This is Edith Falls, which is about 40 kilometres north of Katherine. I had a really great picnic here, and it's a great spot to swim. Although the local Jaowyn people won't swim here, as they believe it's the resting place of a creation creature.

Apparently if pregnant women swim here they have babies that have problems with their breathing and bones. I have it on good authority that one baby that was conceived in this pool (let's not think about that) was born with cystic fibrosis... which affects lungs and bones.

This photo is Southern Rockhole, near the Gorge. It is magic. It's about a four kilometre walk to get there, but so, so worth it. You can swim in this pool, or up above. There's a pretty standard warning that while rangers do a pretty thorough check for salt water crocs and have really good procedures in place, they can't guarantee that they're in certain places.

This is one of those places. But they'd have to get over a hell of a lot of rocks which they don't like to do, and no one has ever had any trouble.

Plus it's a really great place to swim.
The dry season is progressing, and Southern Rockhole has now stopped flowing. Edith Falls is still going though, so still some great places to swim.


I'm constantly amazed at how beautiful the swimming spots are up here.

More soon, I promise.

No comments: