Monday, January 10, 2011

Katherine Gorge

On Sunday I decided it was time to go and have a look at Nitmiluk, also known as Katherine Gorge.
It was pretty spectacular, but at the moment most of the walking trails are closed due to the wet season. This is the first gorge, I gather there is a series of them.

Apparently in the dry season the water is clear. I suppose it makes sense the water would be dirty if it has been raining heaps, which it has. I will have to head out in the dry season to take the same shots to compare.
It was only a short walk, about a kilometre each way to the lookout, but the humidity, combined with my general lack of fitness made it a very hot one. The track also went up the escarpment, which was rather steep! I started walking just after a storm had passed through, which no doubt made the humidity worse.It was an overcast day, which I think may have detracted from the experience a bit, but it was good fun, and nice to get out of the house.
Speaking of which, I'm staying in a shared house at the moment. One of the housemates has gone overseas but has graciously let me stay in her room. She gets back at end of January, so there's a definite deadline to move out, but it will let me take a bit of time to find a place, rather than jump at the first house I can find. There hasn't exactly been offers flowing in, but I remain optimistic that once people keep coming back from holidays more people will be looking for a housemate.
And why wouldn't they want me, I'm quite the housemate-catch.
The job is going well, I've made my debut on the NT country hour. I'm beginning to feel more comfortable with the technical sides of radio, but I find myself concentrating on levels and making sure the damn thing is recording, not so much the interview. But I suppose these things come with time.

No comments: