Thursday, May 6, 2010

More of Mum and Dad

I just realised that I had more photos of Mum and Dad's trip I wanted to put up!

We went for a drive to Cloncurry, which involved a great steak sandwich at one of the pubs.

One of the things that we did for some reason was go out to the airport. But it was really interesting, and we saw this old hangar. You might not be able to see the sign, but it says Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Service, also known as QANTAS.
Cloncurry was one of the original destinations serviced by Qantas, and this is one of their original hangars. I dunno why, but I found that pretty interesting.

Also, Cloncurry was the place of the very first flight of the Royal Flying Doctor Service flight. There was a base in the Curry for a long time. The first plane was chartered from Qantas, and so there's a pretty good chance it left from this hangar! Now, that's a historic hangar, as far as hangers go.

On the drive we took a lot of side trips. One of the things I found fascinating driving up here were all the ant hills. There are literally thousands of these things. I don't know what it is about certain areas, but they go nuts for it.
And I wanted to put up this photo because I think it's a good one of Mum, even if she does have her eyes closed!

No comments: